Let's ride the rollercoaster ride of having a girl...
please hold onto the bar and enjoy your ride.
Although right now I am proud of the maturity my girl is showing.....K came to me last night to talk to me about leaving tennis tryouts, she was in tears.....
Although right now I am proud of the maturity my girl is showing.....K came to me last night to talk to me about leaving tennis tryouts, she was in tears.....
my first reaction was that she was doing it just becuase of what happened earlier this week....(she has been having a good week since, happily gone off to play and today even told me she was pretty sure she was making the team) - I can read her pretty well...and can tell she is being honest with me when she tells me that isn't it. She is concerned about her grades. This is her first school year, pretty much finished with her therapy, and feeling like she has better control over herself and her attitude towards her grades. She and I had talked about it a few weeks ago, and she told me she thought she would be doing much better this year in school, and was looking forward to it. She in concerned that tennis (I think the closer the likelyhood of making the team has gotten the more it has been on her mind) will distract her and take away her homework time. I think it is more commitment than she expected. She was crying when she said, "Mom, I really really want to have a good year this year, concentrate on my grades, then I can try out again next year when I know how things will be" - how can I argue with that? Our standard policy is that you finish what you start, but since the season hasn't technically started yet, we can give her a by on that one......I am just not sure how much to push. She is certainly bringing up an issue that has weighed on my mind since I knew she was trying out. I didn't want to stop her and I think the general activity of tennis would be good for her....but she is right...it is daily after school, home to dinner and then probably not even getting to her homework until 7 or so....a lot for even a good student..and we all know her challenges with school...
Yikes.
Pray with my I did the right thing in ok'ing this.....
Yikes.
Pray with my I did the right thing in ok'ing this.....
I did give her the responsibility of emailing the coach to tell her why she left, so that if she does decide to try again next year, the coach won't think she is a quitter.
She still wants to play tennis. I am looking into trying to find in our limited area, a youth program of some sort that she can just play casually, a night or two a week.
In less stressful news - it rained here again last night....I am blaming the neighbor across the street that just put a sprinkler system in. He hasn't had to use it yet. The weather for August so far as been unseasonably cool and rainy. But hey - who am I to complain! I have a feeling Sept may get unseasonably hot now...and you know the heat and humidity will return for our vacation.
But the kids decided to go out and play when the thunder stopped....they were soaked but happy! they were sweeping the puddles and using the wet sidewalk chalk.
Good clean fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment