

Seems like so much has been happening around here in the last few days!
Kids had an early dismissal yesterday. Managed to get some cleaning done. And you know what?
I took a nap! Woah!
Heaven! Pure heaven! I haven't napped in forever! I have been having a hard time this year adjusting to this darn time change.
Anyway. Had to share this picture of Zoey for all my doggie lovin' friends. I gave her the empty jar of peanut butter ( we were making peanut butter eggs) and let her try to get the lid off and get to the left over peanut butter. This is a picture Chris took because he thought her tongue was so funny!
Last night was also Kaite's DARE (Drug Addiction Resistence Education) graduation. They really make a big deal of it at the school, as they should. Kaite was so excited. It is geared toward teaching the kids not only about drugs and alcohol, but peer pressure, and making good choices. They did a lot of role playing and discussion about "what would you do?". Things that I know we probably never would have done with Kaite ourselves. The temptations these days are so different for the kids these days then even when I was her age. I have never even seen a joint, but sadly I am sure this will not be the case for her. Some friends and I have been talking about our pre-teens and what they are permitted and not permitted to do, and sticking to our guns as parents. One of the most difficult things to do. Kaite and Chris know the , "But everyonnnneeee is doinnnnggggg iiiitttt"...doesn't fly here. My reply is usually, "well if they were my child, they wouldn't". I know Kaite gets mad at me, and I am sure it won't be the last time. But I must give her credit and say, she whines but complies. We always sit down and explain the reasoning for our choices, and rules. She understands it is for her safety and that our biggest job as parents is to help her make healthy and good choices, and to protect her from she can't understand yet.
As I sat there last night, looking at all of those kids, I got sad realizing that not all of them are going to make good choices. There are certain ones you look at and just get a feeling that cigarettes and alcohol may be in their future. Then I know there are those that you least expect that will become addicted. I am sure every parent in that room figures that it will never happen to their kid. I am more realistic than that. It can happen.
I suppose all Jim and I can do as parents , is to let her know we love her, are always here for her, teach her right from wrong, and pray that she has the strength to resist peer pressure. in the meantime, I can do everything in my power to make sure she stays healthy and safe. Drugs scare me more than anything else we have dealt with so far.
1 comment:
you my dear friend are too funny! i have changed a lot too in the past 6 months or so - totally see things in a different way. love that you can see that beautiful stone barn from your home and know what you mean about getting old and being (don't remember how you said it) but I say it like this about me right now - simply fat! The yard work this year is harder than ever - gotta start exercising more - starting now!!
Post a Comment