
Marlene issued a challenge on her blog to see who would have the nerve to post their prom picture on their blog. So I scrambled to find the picture and here it is in all it's 1986 glory.
I look at these two kids.
And what goes through my mind?
So many things.....
Pull up that dress! is one of them. A girl with barely size A breasts should not have chosen a strapless dress. You can't see it but the upside down ruffle at the top matches all of the layers of ruffles on the skirt. I had a piece of matchign ribbon in my hair and pearls around my neck. Man, I thought I was the epitome of prom fashion right there! Oh if I had it to do over....but that is half the fun of looking back right?
The next thoughts that go through my head... Man, I am no longer a size 5, and J doesn't have that much hair anymore!
I am not sure I have seen him smile like that in a long time.
But what I also see, is a young love, that in my own opinion has stood the test of time as I look back now.
We barely knew each other a month here. There is a reason my grandmother called J. my Prince for a long time. I had gone out with her and bought this dress, and was all excited since I never even imagined I would ever be asked to the prom. Unfortunately, we will use the word idiot here, but feel free to insert your own derogatory name for a boy that would do this....the idiot I was dating at the time, broke it off right before the prom, and had the nerve to say he wasn't even going, and wound up being there. What kid does that? Anyway. I digress.
Really literally like two weeks later I meet J. We had been attending the same under 21 dance club every sunday night for months, and had never met til that night. I have no idea how we didn't because the place was the size of our living room. But we hadn't met until that night in April. I immediately fall head over heels for him, and after only one "real" date and hours of talking on the phone, I ask him to take me to the prom, which he promptly said yes, and admits now he has no idea what he needed to do. He did not go to his own prom 2 years earlier. Rented a tux, bought some flowers, and as my grandmother would put it, he rode in on his white horse, swept me off my feet and took me to the prom. My dad lent us the car since J. was driving an old Datsun pick up with holes in the floor on the passenger side and a different color tailgate covered in bumper stickers. He also had an 8track tape player which was outdated even in 1986....I often tell him he is lucy I was not a materialistic gal!
I can honestly say he sealed the deal that night. We had a great time. Better than I ever would have had with Idiot. J. sang You Are the Inspiration by Chicago to me in the middle of the dance floor that night. While I acted mortified on the outside, I was swooning on the inside. I also swooned 5 years later when he did the same again at our wedding. Wonder how many of the *cool* girls that gave us the hairy eyeball when he did that that night, are still happily married to their prom date? Ha!
And here we are 23 years later from that picture! Twenty three!!! Is that at all possible? had I ever imagined at the time that I would one day be saying "23 years ago..." Wow.
So thanks Marlene for the little trip down memory lane!
I look at these two kids.
And what goes through my mind?
So many things.....
Pull up that dress! is one of them. A girl with barely size A breasts should not have chosen a strapless dress. You can't see it but the upside down ruffle at the top matches all of the layers of ruffles on the skirt. I had a piece of matchign ribbon in my hair and pearls around my neck. Man, I thought I was the epitome of prom fashion right there! Oh if I had it to do over....but that is half the fun of looking back right?
The next thoughts that go through my head... Man, I am no longer a size 5, and J doesn't have that much hair anymore!
I am not sure I have seen him smile like that in a long time.
But what I also see, is a young love, that in my own opinion has stood the test of time as I look back now.
We barely knew each other a month here. There is a reason my grandmother called J. my Prince for a long time. I had gone out with her and bought this dress, and was all excited since I never even imagined I would ever be asked to the prom. Unfortunately, we will use the word idiot here, but feel free to insert your own derogatory name for a boy that would do this....the idiot I was dating at the time, broke it off right before the prom, and had the nerve to say he wasn't even going, and wound up being there. What kid does that? Anyway. I digress.
Really literally like two weeks later I meet J. We had been attending the same under 21 dance club every sunday night for months, and had never met til that night. I have no idea how we didn't because the place was the size of our living room. But we hadn't met until that night in April. I immediately fall head over heels for him, and after only one "real" date and hours of talking on the phone, I ask him to take me to the prom, which he promptly said yes, and admits now he has no idea what he needed to do. He did not go to his own prom 2 years earlier. Rented a tux, bought some flowers, and as my grandmother would put it, he rode in on his white horse, swept me off my feet and took me to the prom. My dad lent us the car since J. was driving an old Datsun pick up with holes in the floor on the passenger side and a different color tailgate covered in bumper stickers. He also had an 8track tape player which was outdated even in 1986....I often tell him he is lucy I was not a materialistic gal!
I can honestly say he sealed the deal that night. We had a great time. Better than I ever would have had with Idiot. J. sang You Are the Inspiration by Chicago to me in the middle of the dance floor that night. While I acted mortified on the outside, I was swooning on the inside. I also swooned 5 years later when he did the same again at our wedding. Wonder how many of the *cool* girls that gave us the hairy eyeball when he did that that night, are still happily married to their prom date? Ha!
And here we are 23 years later from that picture! Twenty three!!! Is that at all possible? had I ever imagined at the time that I would one day be saying "23 years ago..." Wow.
So thanks Marlene for the little trip down memory lane!
1 comment:
Awwwww!!!! That's such a great story!!!!! I loved reading it! And I love the picture!!! Boy, does your daughter ever look like you!!!
Kudos to you for playing!!
(Oh....and the "idiot" lost out, big time!)
Post a Comment