"2. Be grateful for who you are and what you have. Learning to be content requires that you stop any “when and then” thinking – “When I am ___________, then I’ll be happy.” (You fill in the blank.)
The reason we fall into this trap is that we may actually be content for a little while but it won’t last. But, more than likely, someone else or something else will come along and drain the contentment from your life.
But listen, you are unique. God created you to be like nobody else, so why would you want to be anyone else. God is perfect, and you were his perfect choice to be you. Understanding that is a huge step toward being content with your life.
And then look at all the things God has given you. So often we allow what we don’t have to so dominate our focus that we forget the many wonderful things we already have, not only material blessing, but far more important things, such as family and friends." ~ Rick Warren
I so want my daughter to learn this. Do you know how many times I have said, "when I..." - and usually it is "lose 20 lbs" - "I'll feel better about myself" - "I'll get some clothes that fit" - "I'll be so much happier" . Even as young parents, I can remember saying, "oh when they get bigger..their sleeping through the night...get more independent.... it will get so much easier" - HA! Or your house? We leave the frustration of the things that maybe made us want to sell our first home, and encounter different ones in the new house. "When we get in the new house...." If I can keep my children, particularly K cause I think it may be more a female thing, from spending a lifetime in that state of mind, I will be successful. I think one of the greatest challenges in life is learning to be grateful WHERE WE ARE AT THE MOMENT. I am not saying you should not want more, or desire change, and sit down and play dead just because you are supposed to be grateful with what you have. You just can't live in a constant dissatisfied state. No wonder half the US is miserable most of the time.Sometimes I think God gives us challenges to teach us patience and gratitude before he lets us have more. And yes, that means being grateful for the challenges too. If you can't afford a new houes, it does no good to sit and huff adn puff about it every day all day....as one friend of mine once said, People need to stop looking over the fence all the time, and turn around and pull the weeds in their own yard. So, if you are unhappy, make what small changes you can to help. Sure you may not get that new house, but painting the one you have may make it better! It is all in the state of mind.
Like I am so grateful that is was just purple (and she hates that they turned out more pink) highlights that she wanted and not a piercing. Although I think she knows better than to even ask. Raising a teenager is sometimes a trick in finding a balance in what they want and what is allowable. It is just hair color, it will grow/wash out...and life will go on.
2 comments:
Love your new banner photo!
I love reading your blog. I've given you an award. (You can check it out on my blog).
Thanks for the insight. Sometimes, I really need to read this stuff.
Post a Comment