Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Summertime summertime


Sum- sum - summertime.....

Yes- our summer has begun.

School officially ended with Crazy Hair day.
No - I do not let the kids go to school like this everyday.

We went for what is becoming our traditional ice cream at the dairy with friends, then off to Barnes and Noble to pick up summer workbooks and a new summer book. The rest of the summer is strictly library fare.

The kids were a bit "off"...too much stimulation at school this morning, I don't know. The clerk even commented that for being the last day at school, they were very calm. You see - Kaite and Chris get very serious in B&N. It is a huge place full of too much stimulation and too many choices for two ADD kids to take in. Everytime they see something they want, there is immediately another one they want. I know better than to rush, but there has to be a time limit and things start to get tense when I have to count down. The clerk was so patient and helped Kaite search out first - books on ancient egypt , her latest fascinations, then ghost stories. We finally came home with a kids level DaVinci Code of sorts. It is based on Leonardo DaVinci's life, but finctional "mystery" that comes with a little book of clues that help solve the mystery. Not based on the movie at all. The potraits talk and move. Christopher settled on a new Captain Underpants. They also both get to pick a summer reward that we buy and "display" for motivation. A little tense to finally get out of there but we did. As a bonus we also picked up some birthday presents we needed. I love Barnes and Noble - not to mention that there is a coffee shoppe right there! But I digress....although, submit that I could survive in there for days alone!

Another reason that I sort of enjoy poker night - the kids and I get to spend some evening time alone. We just have a different rhythm when J. isn't here. Not that I would ever want him not to be here all the time, it is nice now and again to move to our own beat. After showers, I announced reading time downstairs. Figuring I would get flack, I was shocked to hear a round of cheers! Kaite started devouring her new book and Chris nearly finished his latest Pokemon book. They both begged for five more minutes! ::please God let this last all summer:: I read my book, Marley and Me, while they read.

All the frustration does have it's pay offs. Chris spent most of the night telling me riddles he was reading off the bathroom cups. I am amazed and in awe of his maturity to suddening understand the metaphor in a riddle. He was so pleased with himself.
C: Mom- why wasn't the elephant allowed to fly on the plane?
M: I don't know
C: Because his trunk wouldnt' fit under the seat. ::giggle::
M: ::giggle:: - that is silly
C: Get it mom? Trunk? Not his nose ::giggle:: his suitcase!
M*sigh

Then as we were tucking into bed, I ask each of them what they are going to pray. I don't pray for them any longer. They are old enough to understand that it has to be a conversation from their heart....
M: what are you going to pray about tonight?
K: I don't know, give me an idea.
M: I can't. It has to be on your heart.
K: I don't have anything, everything is just perfect right now.
M: *sigh
If you knew the challenges she and I had together today, you would see why this amazed me.
So for all the frustration - there are this little bones they throw me now and again. Reminders that we are doin' ok!!

Happy beginning of summer everyone!

No comments: