
Yes - the apple does not fall fall from the proverbial tree.
Seems K. has my love of shoes, particularly flip flops.
We went in search of a sturdy pair of sneakers today. You know, those good old fashion ahtletic type sneaker that only the dorkiest of pre-teens wear any longer? Reserved for us old folk who actually - oh I don't know - exercise in them.
We are going hiking this weekend and since K. refuses to wear hiking boots. "They are for boys, mom" And the little flimsy canvas things that she calls sneakers are not suited for hiking, we needed to go in search of a new pair. We did agree and settle on a nice all white pair, "only for hiking - I don't have to wear them anywhere else do I?" *sigh
Of course, taking K. into a shoe store usually turns into her attempting to try on every pair she can lay her hands on. She loves heels in particular. But I submit that no 11 year old needs to be teetering around on a 3 in high heeled espadrille. But I love that she also gravitates to the flip flops. My own personal passion. I bought my *cough* fifth pair today. ::grin:: Half off! ::wink::
She was so excited to find this canvas pair, all pink and purple cool print. I was just bummed that they did not have a pair in giant-boat-foot size for me. More than happy to pose for a foot picture. You know you have been a scrapper way to long when your kids don't even flinch when you ask to do things like take a picture of their feet!
But the most interesting part of today? Venturing further and further up the size isle. Yes, these are LADIES size 7's! What happened to my little girl?? More people have mistaken her for me on the phone in recent weeks. She is developing faster than I can keep up. And I find myself getting a little philosophical and sad. I don't want to be sad, since it means that she is healthy and growing as she should. Lord knows I would not wish the alternative for anything. But watching your child enter a new phase in their maturity, really makes you stop and see yourself "maturing". I still look in the mirror expecting to see the 27 year old that I feel like. She is gone. Replaced by some 30 something who is squishy in more places than she would like, whose two grey hairs are starting to invite company, and is the one now giving napping advice to the young mothers in the nursery at church! Wait a minute? When did all of this happen? I refuse to give in! No "mom-jeans" for me! I will stay cool! I will not embarass my children!
That is my solemn vow!
No comments:
Post a Comment