
Could someone please tell Mother Nature that it is now spring? We had a warmer than usual winter, and now she has chosen to make spring FRIGID! I had to find a warm picture to post! Ah, Myrtle Beach. I will close my eyes often today, and imagine as the frigid wind is piercing my skin, that I am actually on the beach in SC relaxing in the sun. *sigh Since I haven't posted a picture of Jim on the blog yet, I figured now was a good time! What a trooper he was too. His neck was injured. He was having surgery as soon as we got home. Yet , he would not ruin our vacation. He continued to smile and try to have a good time even though I am sure he was incredibibly incomfortable. Have I said I love you enough??
Blogger was down for maintanence last night, so I couldn't post when I wanted to write. My brain always seems to be more full of stuff that wants to come out in the evening rather than morning. This morning my head is clear and ready for the day, so I am trying to remember what I wanted to write last night.
Oh!! I heard yesterday and actually again this morning, that the average Amercian spends 5 to 6 hours a day in front of some sort of digital media - computer, tv, video games. This is aside from computer use for jobs. The topic of discussion was of course, our society's tendacy to be avoiding more face to face interaction and social activities. Which I do agree with to some degree. But as anything else in life, balance has to be the key. Some gamers can spend 5 hours a day doing nothing but intereacting with computer generated images in a digital game program! Parents need to monitor and limit video game use and internet use with their kids. The kids will learn from the parents what is appropriate. One of my first thoughts, was about myself. Am I spending too much time at these things? The internet for me is such an incredible source of social interaction! I keep in touch with so many more friends in cyber space than I could ever interact with in a typical week, as well as being able to "chat" with them when I can't call. I keep in touch with long distance friends. I participate in more discussion and research about my incredible scrapbook hobby more on the internet than I ever could in person. So for me, the internet is about social interaction, not avoidance. Jim and I don't watch much tv, and the kids as well are monitored and given limits. What time Jim and I do spend in front of the tv, is our cuddle couple time. We snuggle up on the couch together with our respective evening beverages of choice, enjoy the quiet time, talk about the day, discuss what we are watching (Yes I have him hooked on Grey's Anatomy!) and just relish being alone together.
So, I breath and small sigh of relief. I think we are ok. We all still have healthy happy face to face social interactions on a daily basis balanced with a small healthy dose of "digital media". The kids play outside as much as they watch tv. Yes - when I was a child, things were very different. But I also can't deny how wonderful the internet can be! Where else could I type in "cow paper bag puppet" and in less then 1 min have a free pattern in my hand for a craft project for preschool story time at school? Gotta love technology!! Let's just learn to balance it!
No comments:
Post a Comment