Friday, July 25, 2008

Money

I think money is the perpetual age old marriage couple arguement. I think most likely the cave people in some way argued about rocks and sticks or what ever it is that that used to *buy* or trade for items they needed.
Never enough of it. No matter what.
J has a way, of no matter how many ways to sunday he can say he doesn't, turn it around to be on me that we spend to much. The reality is that I am the one who does 90% of the shopping around here - from food to clothes and everything in between. So ergo - "we" are not spending too much, "I" am spending too much. The confusing thing is that I don't go around spending money willynilly buying what ever it is I want, when ever I want. I stretch my hair cuts as far as possible, cut my own bangs, and only color twice a year anymore. There isn't a stitch of clothes on any of us that wasn't on sale. Shop at WalMart for cleaning supplies and household goods. I don't get my nails done, do not go to the mall. Cut coupons. I live with the three pickiest eaters on the face of the earth. Grocery shopping is a thorn in my side. The man will not eat anything but 90% lean beef, and boneless skinless breast, which I only buy on super sale. Loves to have people here to eat my cooking because he likes it. I don't have custom prints and antiques all over my house. I teach scrap classes and work at the scrap store for a discount and money towards my scrap supplies. I rarely pay to crop anymore. Heaven forbid I did go to Micheal's and bought the kids some craft supplies for the summer. We just up graded to two cars, yes, but both are more fuel efficient and cost nearly the same as the one we had.
So - where does it go? Don't ask me. I certainly don't know.
J always has a way of instantly, with one comment or gesture, making me feel like the kids and I are nothing but huge dollar signs walking around the house, eating up his money. So now he's cranky. Came home early from work. We are supposed to be excited about that, but instead of giving the kids a few options of things to do with him, he lets them go back to their video game, so he can do what he really wants to do, and that is work in the basement. *altho his excuse will be that that is what they wanted to do. Never mind that they have been alone here all day watching tv and being vegetables* Work is J's drug of choice and best way he knows how of avoiding the rest of us. If I take charge and announce we are going in the pool, every one will grumble but we will go out and have fun. There are some times I get so sick of being in charge I could scream. J informed me last week that he is perfectly content with me being in charge, likes it that way and see no need to change it. So I guess that's that.
Just normal every day run of the mill age old marital arguements that I am sure will not even be settled by the time we are all inhabiting the moon. Doesn't make them any easier to deal with.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Money is never an easy one.

Even people with plenty of money to go around argue about money. I once knew a couple who won a significant amount of money in a lottery. They really needed the money, too. Did it help in the grand scheme of things? No. What is it they say? The love of money is the root of all evil?? Yup.

I hope things settle down for you.