Basically - you place these racks about 15 ft apart, and take turns trying to throw the "bolo" - which is basically a rope with a ball at either end - at the rack. The intention is to wrap the bolo around the rungs of the ladder and get it to stay there. Top rung is the most points, bottom the lowest. The kids are surprisingly good at it, and have not yet thrown the bolos are each other, which is always a good thing. Thankfully, the set Neena and Pappa sent to us has soft balls on the ends.
J and I did discuss building one, and I was researching patterns and rules when our gift arrived! So we are still enjoying it.
Simple backyard fun that does involved huge weighted darts or anything like that! Does anyone besides me remember those huge heavy lawn "jarts" - you threw them to try to get them to stick in the ground inside a colored plastic circle? Giant darts. We used to throw them up in the air high over our heads and watch them come down. I can not believe we survived our own childhoods!
When we were first married quoits was a big thing...kind of like horseshoes (which was also popular with my family when I was growing up) - but with circles. We even had permanent quoit pits set up at our first house. We never quite found "the" place for them at this house, that they wouldn't be in the way. We also had a permanent pole set up for volleyball at the other house. J had put PVC pipe, (wonder where he got that?) in the ground, and all we had to do was slip the volleyball poles into them and voila, net. Never got around to that here either, and now since the pool takes up a huge portion of the yard, that will most likely not be happening. I think we have slowed down a bit in our old age!
J and I did discuss building one, and I was researching patterns and rules when our gift arrived! So we are still enjoying it.
Simple backyard fun that does involved huge weighted darts or anything like that! Does anyone besides me remember those huge heavy lawn "jarts" - you threw them to try to get them to stick in the ground inside a colored plastic circle? Giant darts. We used to throw them up in the air high over our heads and watch them come down. I can not believe we survived our own childhoods!
When we were first married quoits was a big thing...kind of like horseshoes (which was also popular with my family when I was growing up) - but with circles. We even had permanent quoit pits set up at our first house. We never quite found "the" place for them at this house, that they wouldn't be in the way. We also had a permanent pole set up for volleyball at the other house. J had put PVC pipe, (wonder where he got that?) in the ground, and all we had to do was slip the volleyball poles into them and voila, net. Never got around to that here either, and now since the pool takes up a huge portion of the yard, that will most likely not be happening. I think we have slowed down a bit in our old age!

2 comments:
Ladderball sounds like fun!
I remember quoits....lol. I discovered I'm really, really, REALLY bad at them!
Oh Andi....I was at Kohl's yesterday, and I saw this Ladderball contraption. I ALMOST bought it. Then I remembered it would get me outside and exercising, and that would be detrimental to my weight-gain experiment currently in progress.
Post a Comment