Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why I Relay?

I Relay for her.
Yes, and I mean all three of them.
To honor one, and give a sense of purpose and pride to the other two.

Relay, you say? What is that.

The Relay for Life - 24 hour walking event, run by the American Cancer Society, yearly to raise money for local chapters as well as research.

My sister and I started a team the year after my mom died. It was a cause dear to her heart. She had walked in one Relay as a survivor, and sadly the next year did not get to do it again. As sick as she was that year, she still planned on it, even if one of us had to push her in a wheelchair. From the time she was diagnosed her focus was on educating every other woman who would listen to her speak about the importance of mammogram and self exam, even passing out brochures at staff meetings. Since education is a huge part of what the ACS does, it seems fitting that she felt so strongly about supporting them. So honor her memory and continue to carry her torch, we Relay , every year...24 hours (we even walked the entire 24 hours that first year, the two of us. We could barely move when we got home sunday night) - heat and rain. Tent. No sleep. Wet sneakers and all. We also plan tirelessly year after year for our big fundraiser, The Crop for a Cure in Pa, (http://www.cropforacurepa.zoomshare.com/ if you would like to join us this year in October!) in our 9th year now. Both truly are a labor of love, and bring us great joy. This year, they started a Relay in Boyertown. I can not tell you how delighted this would have made my mom. She was very proud of our little hometown, and would have joined every committee there was to support it. Thankfully, my sister did that this year. I will probably volunteer more next year. Here is the link to the Relay site....http://www.events.cancer.org/rflpaboyertown
If you want to walk with us... Click on Join a Team and we are team Pam's Lil Angels.

We are not in control of many things in our own lives. This is just one way we fight back and take back some small token of control in the situation. Instead of sitting around, ringing our hands, doom and gloom - we walk, we raise money, we educate - so perhaps in some small way, we make a difference.
This little boy also motivates me. Another reason to Relay. There are so many that have lost someone they love - as much as losing my mom hurt like hell, I can not imagine losing my child. There is now a less than 20% chance that treatment will work for this little boy, who has fought cancer,literally since the day he was born.
http://www.jaymun.com/videos/08-06-07%20-%20playing%20with%20balloons1.shtml
So this is why I Relay.

No comments: