Friday, April 25, 2008

Melancholy

Bear with me for a moment of melancholy.
Today is grandparent's day at school. Every year creates a bit of a stir around here. Times like these even after 10 years, there is evidence of the huge gapping hole my mom's passing has left in our lives. Jim's parent's are just too far for these types of things, and the kids talk of my mom constantly when grandparent's day is coming. She would be there, with bells on. So each year, they take her picture with them. K always hated it and used to beg to stay home. If they make any projects we usually send them to J's parent's. I was doing ok this morning until C. was trotting across the yard today, photo in hand, and I said, "Have a good day!" - and his reply was, "With Nana by my side I can't fail!"
:::cry:::
So I am indulging in a small bit of self pity today. I don't allow it often. I much prefer focusing on the good things then dwelling on what can't be. I usually find some comfort in my routine, tidying and cleaning - but that wasn't working. So I went and had my breakfast out on the patio on this.... Our new swing! Which by the way was put together single handedly by me and my 11 year old! We rock baby! Put it down by the pond. Only draw back right now is that it is facing the neighbors house..so other than the pond, there isn't much view....so we will have to work on some arranging. I have also gotten three of the chairs and the new table put together. I will share a picture when it is all finished. I have to get tile for the table top. Of course, one of the chair pieces came out of hte box looking like it had been through WW2 so I called and am waiting for the piece to come. I am so proud of myself. I even went and got the socket set MYSELF and put those babies together! Wonder why I don't have a manicure! Hopefully this weekend we will get the new grill together and the canopy, then be rearranging and setting up the deck...meanwhile...

J. started on the railing on the pool deck. It is all up now. Just the gate and stairs to go, he has to get it done before we can open the pool because of the saw dust......if you notice C. and the neighbor boy under the deck playing. Too cute.
And feeling very Pioneerwoman-esque I took a picture of how I was helping yesterday. Keeping the contractor company. :::smile::: And watching him work.
And I am happy to say that cutting back on Zoey's activity has helped her limp very much. She is still out and about with us, trotting around and following us every where, but no more chasing her balls. If she runs too much , she still limps a bit but it is significantly better. Here she is yesterday sporting a new bandana, pink with paw prints. Such a sweetie she is.


1 comment:

Just Me said...

I'm luvin' your new swing!!!

The whole grandparents thing at school surely must be difficult for kids who have lost a grandparent they knew.

Hope Zoey continues to get better. It's so hard when our beloved pets hurt.