Today started for me literally on barely two hours of sleep. Even took benedryl. Would love to say I was wide awake and accomplished a ton of stuff....but I was tired. Just could not GO to sleep. I felt restless, twitchy...right now I am dragging....
Luckily, this morning J had a "date" with the kids for breakfast and the flea market. C's wonderland! He wants to go back tomorrow. They both had their feet on the floor by 7:15. No arguements, no whining. I swear it is my grandfather's blood in him. Love to say I stayed home and slept in. Not the case. Still awake.
This is how we spent the majority of the day. Jr Master's District tournament. K qualified this year. She rocked the first round, rolling a 158 I believe, and 144......
So, cool to wiat around and see her name on the advancing list. But then came the problem. Too much time waiting, led to too much time thinking about what else she would rather be doing. Realizing she had to get through yet another round to get the prize winning ball she was aiming for, another round to bowl against a girl who was bowling very well. And what did K do? Seh gave up...the first 5 frames of her next game. I could see it in her posture, I could see it in her swing..no effort what so ever. Trying not to seem like *one of those over coaching moms* but I had to talk to her.....I called her over, and she admitted to me. "I'll never do it mom. I want to be done. I can't beat her. " *tears in her eyes* Now mind you K had not advanced through the intial round last year, and had ROCKED the first qualifying. She was only one pin behind third place and 14 oinds behind second. She was in contention to at least make the final four to come back Sunday ...She was in second after the first game, and fell to fourth after the second, still able to pull it out...but she gave up. Her head was down. Her shoulders forward. I know the posture well. And if there is one thing they have learned about me, is mom does not condone quitting, giving up on yourself or the defeatest attitude. As soon as she doesn't feel *good enough* , she wants to fold. We wrestle and fight with that enough in school and learning. (and has been told by too many teachers that she CAN'T do things) There is no place in our fun for it. I dont' care if they win or lose, I will root for them all the way, but I will not allow them to give up on themselves....so I gave her the pep talk. Pointed out that she could pull it out. SHE WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. She perked up a bit late for the first game with was a 78. Not her best at all. But started relaxing, standing taller, rolling better, talking to the other girls, clapping for them, and bowled a 124 the second game. Much more her game. But alas, it was too late. The first game blew it for her. I praised her for changing her attitude and giving the last game her all. I was proud of her. If you have nothing else at the end of the day, no trophies no awards, to be able to say you gave it your all and didnt' give up on yourself means more to me than anything. That will take you far in life.
Now we are home for this.
First fire of the season.
First fire of the season.
There are few things I enjoy more than sitting by that fire in the dark, with a nice glass of wine, snuggled with J, watching the flames and listening to the spring peeps and the kids laughing somewhere playing in the dark. *sigh*
This year, not only does C get to help start the kindling. J is letting him put the big logs on the fire and tend to it. C is all over that ,let me tell you. Does the smile say he is proud of himself or what?
And he gets to wear the *fire gloves* - basically an old pair of leather gloves that J uses to push logs around etc....
My little pyro...he done good. We had a nice fire, some s'mores. Now a movie. Not a bad end to a good day. (Just don't get me started on some of the rude ignorant people you can run into at tournaments like we attended today)
It said.
I haven't lost my mind, I have it backed up on disk somewhere.
Just made me chuckle. Not sure why.
No comments:
Post a Comment