
What to say? what to say?
So much floating around my head today.
Hallmark and every diamond retailer from the east to the west coast want us to believe that this day is supposed to be mom's day to be lauded, pampered, appreciated, wined, dined, showered with gifts and do nothing but rest and relax.
Reality has other things to say about it! Thank goodness we live in a real world.
No dozen roses - I got a beautful hanging petunia (that Kaite painstakingly picked out last night while we happened to stop at WalMart for something else- so sweetly tried her best to hide it from me until we got to the check out. So yes, I got my gift in the check out line at WalMart. Can we be anymore redneck?) and a potted petunia that Chris made me in Sunday School.
Breakfast in bed then you say? Nope - I already made pancakes and bacon while everyone else was still in bed.Chocolate chip, cause I rock as a mom!
Wined and Dined, that must be it! - Well ....I had a hot dog at the bowling alley, and we did order white russion sandwiches from the pub - so I didn't cook after breakfast.
Rest and relaxation - Jim promised me I wouldn't have to lift a finger all day! (teeheee) Yeah. Right. We took the kids bowling to practice for their tournament. We went pool shopping. I did two loads of laundry and a sinkful of dishes.
Well, then...what did I get??? Jim did follow through on his promise to give me lots of extra physical affection. I got lots of extra hugs and kisses from the kids. I got to spend the day with the three people I care about the most doing something that we all enjoy. As an added bonus, I commandered the tv this evening and watch what I, yes - ME and only ME, wanted to watch....cooking shows and HGTV! I got the remote! ::::dancing:::: And I bowled awesome. Life is good!
Jim has never been known to be a planner, and also not very tolerant of crowded restaurants on a holiday. After years of anticipating what wonderful things lay in store for Mother's Day and my birthday, and disappointment after disappointment, I have come to accept that that is just not going to happen around here. At the risk of sounding terribly sunshiny and sweet, I don't care anymore. There is more to life than gifts and the "picture perfect" day. They asked that anyone who was a mother stand in church today to receive and special gift. I was taken aback by the number of women older than I, that did not stand. Being a mother has been one of the most challenging and most difficult things I have ever done. Yet, as cliche as I could ever be, "the most rewarding" blahblah blah....... I would rather spend a 100 Mother's Days eating hot dogs in a bowling alley, than never having had a mother's day to celebrate.
My one prayer is that by next year, I can celebrate the day with my best friend, who hopefully by then, will be a mother also.
1 comment:
you did it again - dang you are GOOD!!! can i be you????
Post a Comment