Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sixth Grade Recognition


Tonight was Sixth Grade Recognition. Our school's version of elementary graduation.

You are looking at the recipient of the Art Creativity Award! She was so excited!! ( Kaite : Art is my best subject!) She absolutely never expected to get one award. Her art teacher summed it well - this award was given to the kids that showed creativity and free thinking, as she put it - "the world needs more of them". More free thinkers. More of those that dare to challenge traditional ways of seeing the world. People who are willing to paint pink trees and orange sky.

The award is now sitting next to her bed. I did make sure to remind her that she didn't need an award to be special and that she is special to us every day.

I will save my " I hate academic awards ceremonies" speech. Even though Kaite got an award - doesn't change my opinion. I really am not fond of our need as a society to constantly reaffirm and praise the over achievers, who are typically already receiving accolades and more respect than those students who happen to have to work a bit harder and may not meet the bar, or the quiet respectful average child who doesn't make waves. Oh - I did say I would save it didn't I?
The best award ever ? Every teacher Kaite has had has told me how sweet, kind, willing to help, friendly and what a pleasure my daughter is to have in class.

Kaite also officially received her Promotional Certificate. You know what that means? She is a seventh grader now. Has the Boyertown Jr High t-shirt to wear and everything!

Where have the last seven years gone? Where is that chubby faced little girl that could barely peek out of the bus windows? What has happened!? Man- what a ride the last seven years have been. All I keep hearing in my head - "Please keep your hands inside the ride at all times. Please hold onto the bar. Enjoy the ride!" when I think of the next six years. Class of 2012. The principal said that and I think you could hear a collective gasp in the room. A new chapter starting. More of her story. I know how I would love to see it written. Doesn't every parent have those big dreams for their children. But the hardest part of being a parent is not being able to write it word for word. I can guide, suggest , recommend, and pray, but the rest is up to Kaite. Which paths will she follow? One lesson I have learned is that all I can hope for is that they are the best that they can be in everything that they do. My biggest wish is that they are happy, successful in what they do, and find their sweet spot in life - the spot that will be most rewarding and happy for them. Here we go - buckle up! The ride is about to begin!

No comments: