Thursday, November 05, 2009

Halloween


No trick or treat for this gal this year! But, she did dress up to hand out candy ...for a whole 20 minutes!
She had a zillion different plans for the night that all fell through....
this is the part of the growing up that gets me in the gut.
No more trick or treat.
Wanting to be away from home on trick or treat night instead of home with us.
I know I know..normal ...but I still want to do those things!



And this would be C dressed as , yup you guessed, "a box" He did add some fake swords at the last minute to look like he had been stabbed in the box. This costume lasted about 1 1/2 blocks before his head came through the top and he came back home.
Even he hemmed and hawed all after about whether or not he wanted to go out trick or treating.
I figured I had a least a year or two yet in him!
As a parent it is so hard to know when that "last time" will be.....would I have appreciated last year's Halloween more had I known that maybe this year they wouldn't want to participate?
Would I have enjoyed that last trip to the park together if I had known it would be the last time they needed me to tag along?
As a mom I still enjoy doing the "little kid" things...and I will say again I am not doing well with the growing up.
But did I stomp my feet and insist they trick or treat this year because I needed them to?
No. I did not. C went and wound up with a crap load of candy and had a great time with a friend.
But these last milestones are really making me want to slow them down so I can enjoy them more when they are happening.....


J's turn to pass out candy. K made him wear her hat. Lasted about 5 minutes.


K didn't even want to carve a pumpkin this year!
This is C's. Literally cut minutes before Trick or treat. We were just so busy the last few weeks it got forgotten. He did this without any help except gutting. It was pretty thick!
So I have a feeling there will be no more carved pumpkins here either.
I am really not copying well with the thought....


And sunday we did mange to get outside as a family for awhile. We were on or way to attempt to get into Hawk Mtn again and in a last minute decision when we saw the sign, wound up at the Trexler, aka Lehigh Valley Zoo for some nice fall outside fun. The kids were all for it when presented with the option of hiking or the zoo.
Although , as nice as it was, we went through pretty fast.
We were surrounded by little ones dressed up trick or treating with the animals. just reminding me that that phase is done. We did have a nice time though.....I have a picture or two I want to edit a bit before I post them.
But alas, this is most likely our last trip to the "little" zoo, we much prefer the Phila. Zoo.....

But I did finally get a leaf picutre and some semi-cooperative kids!

No comments: