
As defined by Dictionary.com
Awakening -
–adjective | 1. | rousing; quickening: an awakening interest in ballet. |
–noun | 2. | the act of awaking from sleep. |
| 3. | a revival of interest or attention. |
| 4. | a recognition, realization, or coming into awareness of something: a rude awakening to the disagreeable facts. |
| 5. | a renewal of interest in religion, esp. in a community; a revival. |

Pretty much sums up very well my feelings in the spring.
I love to watch my garden awake.
And as I was walking around taking these pictures today - above incidently are my lilac buds on one of the three trees I have (given me by a beloved patient when we first moved into our house. I also love to remember her everytime they bloom) - I realized too - in the spring I feel as though I am also awakening. To see the sprigs of green pushing through last years dead brown leaves, gives such a feeling of hope. No matter how dark and cold the winter has been, spring always comes, and with it renewed hope for a sunny day and a flower bud. As the flowers arrive, I can feel the sensation of awakening as well.

I feel like I have slept-walked (can that be in past tense?) through February and March....the winter gets to me. I get dull. When I think back on it, I honestly really just seem to drift through the days. No more stimulation from the holidays. Just gray cold days. Not sensing much, not feeling much. However, I don't really ever realize it until spring comes, the flowers start to awaken, and as well I start to feel my senses come alive again. I start to notice the things again. Actually long to do something. Relish the feel of the dirt in my hands, the ache of my muscles as I work( I was going to say toil, but man does that sound *stuffy* ) in my flower beds again. It isn't until then do I realize how dull I have become in the previous few weeks. I think the vitamin D I have been taking has saved me from some of the dredges of depression I usually get in those months, but I was still dull. I love the spring sensation of *feeling* again. Fresh air. Sunshine on my face. Everything seems so much more vivid in the spring air. The gray is lifting.
I have also let the faithful part of my nature really go dormant in the last few months. So easy to do, so I am also feeling that familar stirring of religious awakening. That also feels very good. It is so easy to get bogged down in the "winters" of our lives. So many people I know right now are having a long cold "winter". I am so glad that no matter what , no matter when, spring does arrive and I pray we relish that as much as we can.
PS - unfortunately I am too late to show you photos of the beautiful crocus in the garden, asn the rabbits have made a wonderful crocus salad out of them!
No comments:
Post a Comment