Sunday, February 15, 2009

Life with a 14 year old girl

K was staying over at my sister's last night because we were going to a friend's house to hang out, and there would have been no kids her age. Rather than listen to her complain all night, whine, and hover, she stayed with my niece. She was very happy about that. When we left her, she had a small sniffle, and complained that she was coughing but I hadn't heard one all afternoon. She had been in the bath tub for an hour and I didn't hear one cough.
she called about 10:00 I think to tell me her collar bone hurt from coughing (it still bothers her now and again since it was bruised in the accident) and she sounded stuffy. I told her to take some advil and put some heat on it. Not another word from her til....
4:30 AM -
Yes, you read that right
4:30 AM
We went to bed at 1 AM.
I pick up the phone....
K: (rasping stuffy voice) Mommy I'm sick and my head is killing me
Me: OK sweetie.....Um, I'm not there I can't help you.
K: I don't want to be sick because ::insert boy's name here:: wanted to come hang out today.
Me: You did not just call me at 4:30 in the morning to whine about this.
K: :::long pause:::::: {meaning that is exactly what she just did}
Me: ::trying to remain calm::: Do you want me to come home?
K: No!
Me: Well I can not help you from here, you need to wake Aunt Gigi up and tell her you need some medicine.
K: I don't want to wake anyone up {Obviously except me of course}
Me: Well, sweetie, if you want to feel better you are going to have to, and if I drive over to get you, you are going to have to wake someone up because the alarm will be on.
Kaite: Oh ok.
So I try to go back to sleep and can't. I call her cell in about 15 min. My sister had gotten her some sudafed and a cold towel for her head. I told her to rest, then lay and toss and turn for half an hour, wind up down here on the couch.
5:30 AM the phone rings again, JUST AS I AM GETTING BACK TO SLEEP...
K: Mommy my head hurts when I think :::tears::: Really it does....
Me: :::again trying not to implode::: Honey, same situation I can not help you from here.
K: I don't want to wake up Aunt Gigi again.
Me: well you need some advil. You know where it is in the kitchen. Go down and take some, you know what to take.
K: Oh ok.
Me: Sure you can do that?
K: Yes. Night.
So at 9 am this morning, I get a text.
"I am all better this morning. I just needed some sleep"
Yeah. Right. Aka ::::insert boys name here::: Can come over today::::
I text back - something along the lines of what a miracle etc.
I told her the sudafed at 4:30 am and advil at 5:30 am where most certainly still working.
"oh." comes back.
She has simply picked up the cold C and I have had all week.
After getting me out of bed that way in the middle of the night, no one will be visiting.......she needs to rest.
And that is just one glimpse at life with my 14 year old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know she had called you!! I thought she just woke me up. They didn't go to bed until after 12:30a. I told her the headache was probably rebound from the Redbull she drank earlier at Walmart with Dani and the girls. :o) Hope she is feeling better today.

Anonymous said...

don't be so hard on her-at least she called you and not the boy.