Is me pulling my hair out as this child continues to push me to my limits.
We have spent countless hours in her biofeedback therapy. Countless amount of money. Teachers.Counselors.Us. Have put time and energy into helping her progress and perform better in school with less anxiety. She has come so far! And was doing so well when school started. No panic attacks, improved focus and retention,feeling much more confident. Doing her homework, getting good grades.
Until, we check parent portal least night and see quite a few incomplete homework assignments in Spanish. WTF? She was given the priviledge of doing her homework in her room because she was doing so well. She does it after dinner with out complaint. There is no incentive to rush through it as there is no tv later in the night, typically, but lately have been lax with that. So she tries to tell me last night it is "just her old bad habits coming out" - the urge to pummel her right then and there was incredible. In this house, there is absolutely no excuse for not doing homework. Period. I have never used the words lazy in regard to my kids before, but right now that is all it is. Somehow from somewhere as surfaced this sudden I don't Care attitude. Then I get this from the sciece teacher today - the one that sent the email a few weeks ago full of praise, that I DARED to allow me to become hopeful that we are on the down slope of this whole ride -
""I’m sorry to report that Kaitlyn has not been doing her homework lately. My grades should be updated on the Community Portal by tonight. Please note that we have a test this Friday in science""
Right now I am so angry I could spit. I am supposed to have a calm rational discussion with her about it when she gets home.
What else can we do? There is nothing else we can do. Our expectations are clear. I can tell you she won't be seeing, let alone using her cell phone for a good long time. She does very little else or has very little other priviledges to be taken away. This totally on her. Her motivation. Her decision. This is the part were what every one else can do for her stops, and she starts.
She is a good kid. With a good heart. Giving. Caring. Fun. Energetic. Why she continues to insist on selling herself short so often is a complete mystery to me.
ARGH!
2 comments:
Please also remember there is no cure for being a teenager! :o) Although, using her issues as an excuse is not acceptable.
{{hugs}}
May I spit right along with you? My almost 18 year old can often be described as L.A.Z.Y. and believe me, K does not have the monopoly on button pushing! You're not alone, sister.
Post a Comment