If ever in a kazillion years I would ever have thought that I would be so passionate or enraged over laundry, I probably would have never done this whole married with kids thing. What have I been reduced to when laundry can consume my thoughts?
Right now my 20 year old me is cringing.
However, to the 40 year old me, this is life and is what it is and I wouldn't have it any other way.
This pile of towels has become a major thorn in my relationship with my daughter.
My daughter with thick curly hair who has taken to often bathing twice a day.
My daughter who has difficulty picking anything up off the floor lest hanging it to dry.
So , two days after I do the laundry and turn around and discover the towel shelf is once again empty, and said towels are laying in various piles all over a certain 14 year old's room in varying stages of mildew - something clicks inside me. I become a beast.
So - I went out and bought daughter and son both their own large body towel, and my darling daughter two "hair towels.
Did my 20 year old self ever in a million years think that she would be standing in the bathroom upstairs giving her kids the "towel talk"? She most certainly would have killed herself then and there. Yes, I have been reduced to lecturing my children on the proper care and use of towels.
Why? Because I am sick and tired of laundering barely used towels simply because they were not hung up to dry.
I would love to sit here and type to you how my intelligent children immediately said, "thank you for the lecture mom. we will of course do as you say and will never ever again make uneccesary laundry for you. " But that is when I wake up from my dream and reality hits. Things did improve for a few days. Right now there are two towels on the floor in K's room and I fished out a wet one that she had shoved back onto the towel shelf this morning. Obviously - I need to go back to the drawing board. Short of stashing the extras, and making her use mildewing stinky towels, there is not much else I can do. S0 that may be the next course of action....and the laundry saga will continue I am sure.
2 comments:
Oh I feel for ya!!! Went through this EXACT scenario in my household several years ago.
Wanna know how I fixed it?
I removed ALL the towels from their bathroom. I gave them two towels each. I installed towel bars on the backs of their bedroom doors.
I then told them it was their responsibility to do their own laundry cuz I wasn't doing it anymore....and if they ran out of towels because they didn't hang them to dry (c'mon, one use to dry off a CLEAN body is not considered a "dirty" towel!) or didn't launder them, then I guess they'd have to dry off in the air!
It worked like a charm and I've never had towel issues again. I hope you can find some sort of solution in your household, too. I know how stressful a simple thing like towels can be!
Two Words. Turbi Twist. Best little towels for hair drying. Won't want the biggies after that.
Teeshirts work the best for curly hair, anyway. Just ask curlygirl dot com.
Post a Comment