



So - this is what has been going on around here.
Homework.
Yes. School is back in session.
We have only had minor issues so far.
I got the warm and fuzzies tonight sitting here at the table, helping K. while Daddy helped C. His work consisted of making his spelling words out of cut out magazine or newspaper letters. So- they made a deal. C. told Daddy which letters he needed and Daddy cut them. Went much better. You see - Chris get overwhelmed when a project looks too big. I hear it is a common ADD thing. When he saw tonight's assignment he nearly freaked, then froze. Insisted he can't go it. So then we set about figuring out a way to make it seem a bit less daunting. Turned out to be a lot more fun than C. expected. Right now he is cutting his name out for the top of the page. I was helping K. make review cards for a science quiz. We were all here around the table. Rain outside. warm in here. Lots of chatting and laughing go on. A good moment.
Nice considering what we have been through with homework in the past. (I can't say the crying fits are gone but they are certainly less frequent - not tears of refusal but tears of frustration about not being able to do their work. ) I have to say, with the challenges that each of the kids face at school every day, they keep on truckin'. Every night - pretty much without complaint they each get up when they finish dinner and get their materials and get started without being told. C. usually needs some encouragement with deciding what to do first, and motivation that he is able to complete in all in less than "forever", as he insists everything will take forever. With all the challenge they face each day just to take in the information they should know, and the number of times they have fallen short of an expectation or been told they aren't trying hard enough, they could both hate school, fight about doing their homework and be miserable. But they don't. K. struggles to read, but will still tell you it is one of her favorite things to do. They give their best effort. It makes me so proud of them. Perserverence. No truer definition.
K. has been having some anxiety issues crop up in the mornings, - stomach aches and tears. I hate those mornings. I have to be so firm and send my crying daughter out the door. I know if I give in and let her stay home once, I just set a precident for it to be ok. She tells me , school is going fine and once she gets into her first period she feels better. For her it is more the anticipation of something being hard, or something happening. Breaks my heart. Yet, I know - the struggles will help her grow. So - in the meantime - we do deep breathing, we talk about relaxing, we encourage, and we pray. I hate that so many of these things are out of my hands. My prayers are just for God to help me know who to help each of them best so that they can be all that He wants them to be , and be happy in their adult worlds.
No comments:
Post a Comment