
Finally got to watch Hairspray last night! Good movie. Loved it. Even the kids, after whining about watching it, loved it in the end. They love Grease I knew they would enjoy this. One of my favorite parts was when Tracy's dad asked her if she really wanted to dance on tv, and when she said yes, he told her to GO for it. I so wishsomeone would have ever encouraged me that much when I was younger. But I digress...not what I intended to post about. I truly had an "ACK" moment during the movie. (So much to explain to the kids! And how wonderful that they have never heard of fall out shelters and known segregation) There were so many characters and interactions to evaluate but the one that hit home with me, and maybe you have to have struggled with your weight to truly get it, but it was Edna Turnblad. When Tracy was trying to convince her to be her agent and she revealed that she hadn't been out of the house in 10 years.....at first you are surprised. But then what she says that I can totally relate to is "I'll do it when I am a size ten again" , the neighbors hadn't seen her in such and such a pounds etc. Oh man, can I do totally relate. For me it is my weight. How many times I have said to myself, I'll do it when I lose 20 lbs. Or how many times I have avoided volunteering for something because I don't want to be "on display". I am well aware of the self talk, but it was really hearing someone else say the things outloud that made them sound so absurd. So my goal for myself is to stop living for "when I...." or "someday.." and do my best to do what I want now. I tend to want to hide when I am not feeling great about myself.....then today on one of my message boards was this poem. Since it also related, I am including it too. I want to be my own best friend, treat myself like I would a friend, and say the things to myself I would say to a friend.
My Own Best Friend
If I was my own best friend, I would forgive myself for things I regret.
I would tell myself it was normal to have things work out wrong sometimes.
I would tell myself not to stand in such strict judgment of myself, that nobody’s perfect, and life’s a lesson.
I would tell myself how much I love me just for being me.
If I was my own best friend, I’d cheer myself on when the going got tough and tell myself I’m almost there and I can do it.
When I was feeling down, I would give myself a big hug and let me cry on my shoulder.
I’d listen. I would give good advice—the kind that is constructive and helpful and doesn’t include any “shoulds”.
If I was my own best friend, I would point out that I was worth having around for a long time to come whenever it looked like I was about to indulge in too much of a bad thing.
I would tempt myself with food and activities that were good for the being as well as the soul.
I would encourage myself to foster relationships with people who make me feel good about myself, have something to teach me, and fill my life with joy.
If I was my own best friend, I would tell myself to stop wasting valuable time and live life to the fullest starting right now.
My Own Best Friend
If I was my own best friend, I would forgive myself for things I regret.
I would tell myself it was normal to have things work out wrong sometimes.
I would tell myself not to stand in such strict judgment of myself, that nobody’s perfect, and life’s a lesson.
I would tell myself how much I love me just for being me.
If I was my own best friend, I’d cheer myself on when the going got tough and tell myself I’m almost there and I can do it.
When I was feeling down, I would give myself a big hug and let me cry on my shoulder.
I’d listen. I would give good advice—the kind that is constructive and helpful and doesn’t include any “shoulds”.
If I was my own best friend, I would point out that I was worth having around for a long time to come whenever it looked like I was about to indulge in too much of a bad thing.
I would tempt myself with food and activities that were good for the being as well as the soul.
I would encourage myself to foster relationships with people who make me feel good about myself, have something to teach me, and fill my life with joy.
If I was my own best friend, I would tell myself to stop wasting valuable time and live life to the fullest starting right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment