Last night we finally carved this year's pumpkins. It has been way too warm to even think about it, lest even that these things would rot to nothing in a day or two in the warm air. Finally chilled off enough to get them, and it IS the weekend before Halloween. Our dearest friends in the world have never had their girls carve out pumpkins, always painted them. The oldest is 11, so there is no way I was letting this year go by without letting these girls carve pumpkins. They had such a blast! Their youngest went at it with gusto!!
It has been a very stressful week here, and it was so nice just to have a nice dinner, and classic family time with such great friends. Finished off with a nice glass of wine, and a soak in the hot tub, and all is well again!
As K and C are getting older, their pumpkins are getting bigger! Our rule is you have to be able to carry it to get it. Made carving K's a bit challenging when it had three inches of flesh!
As you can see by the intense concentration on J's face and the tongue out, it required a lot of focus and muscle!
I am really so glad that this is one tradition that they seem to be taking longer to out grow. We look forward to it every year.
And even though I searched and searched the internet for pumpkin/fall/autumn related inspirational quotes ( did you know you can search for produce quotes on line!? yes sir-ree! I still marvel at the things I find in a google search) But alas, no wonderful awe inspiring wording to be found - so I leave you with a joke!
Q: What do you get when you divide the diameter of a jack-o-lantern by it's circumference?
A: Pumpkin "Pi"
PS I hate the lighting in my kitchen and really really need to learn how to play with some of the settings on my camera. I will post "glowing" photos of the pumpkins tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment