We are back from the beach. My apologies - all the pictures are on J's work laptop. Shhhh...don't tell we used it all weekend. ::wink::: So this is a picture-less post. ::gasp:: say it isn't so! But I had to get this memory out of my head and here before I forget it.
Once again proof, I think too much.
One evening when we were on vacation, K wanted ice cream, and no one else did, so we ducked into the Ben and Jerry's (for the first and last time I might add. Can you say WAY TOO expensive!? Holy cow, pun intended...how do they get away with it!) Since C and I didnt' want anything we chose to sit in the chairs that line the store and wait while J took K into the line to order. As I sat there and people watched, one of my favorite things to do, I noticed the couple standing in line right behind J and K. And it dawned on me - they were a perfectly aged version of J and I! They were dressed very similar to us (Even K pointed out that the woman's blouse was just like mine) and she even had a perfect pedi and toe rings with her cool sandals. Husband in denim shorts, and a t with sneakers, just like J's "uniform" I call it. So I giggled to myself, and thought, - ok so we will still be cute in say another 15 years.....I whispered to him, and he agreed. He was even rubbing her back absentmindedly like J often does to me if we are standing nextg to each other. It was a nice couple moment between us. Then - I realized right behind them, was a pefectly coifed, I would say early 20's something young gal. Cute sundress, matchy matchy purse, make up done, nails done, hair perfect, matching sandals, and with her was her just as perfectly coifed and primped partner/husband whichever. And it dawned on me, we USED to be that. THAT used to matter. When we took vacations, we didn't go out every night until my make up was perfect, and I had my hair done. I packed perfectly matching outfits down to the hair accesories. I used to bring 20 pair of shoes! Quite the contrast to how I packed this year I can tell you that! And what seemed so important then, is so NOT important now. The contrast to those two couples just solidified to me, how we change without even really realizing it. Now - I still care about my appearance, prefer not to leave the house without my hair done, and *some* make up on, but the "image" is so not important any more. You will never see me in a mumu in public and I like to think even as I get older, I will dress appropriately for my age, but still hip, and contemporary. But perfection does not matter any more. I am so grateful I have grown enough to be comfortable enough with myself that it so does not matter anymore. With age does come maturity on so many different levels. While I would love my 20 something body back, I certain would never want that insecure young woman back - so I will embrace my maturity and look forward to being "that couple" , hopefully that everyone looks at and says, "Isn't it sweet that they still hold hands" in another 15 years!
1 comment:
So how much was B and J's?
I MISS YOU...
love Peggy
Post a Comment