Monday, December 11, 2006

Gratitude


Well it seems Blogger only has problems with fire pictures. This one would upload, but those still won't. Argh. Love technology.
But anway - thought I would share this picture. I guess Jim figures we have the extra kids here right now, Free Labor comes to mind, so he put them to work! They actually jumped at the chance to help. They are painting shelves for the basement. They did an awesome job too! only a wee bit of paint on feet and in hair.
So - on to gratitude.
I have been brought to my knees a number of times this week. The first being when I heard the words, "My house is on fire" coming through my phone and barely uttered by my sister. I hit my knees in shock and dismay.
Next was when I became aware of how much worse things could have been, and I hit my knees in thanks. The smoke detectors do not seem to have been working, which means had the fire started just 8 hours sooner, my sister and her family would all have been asleep oblivious to what was happening, and rather than having a few extra house guests, I can't even verbalize what may have occured. Then, gratitude that "something" made my sister head home for lunch sooner than she would have normally. Had she been 10 min later, or not come home at all, they would have been left with just a shell of a house, rather than a few rooms that need gutted and severe smoke damage. Also incredibly grateful for the firefighters who fought hard to keep everything from spreading, and also did not hesitate to redon their gear and race back into the house to find the family dog that ran back inside out of fear. Being in a small community means that quite of few of the firefighters were family friends, and very supportive to my sister. Then there was the Red Cross. Anyone can say what ever they want about the agency, but they were there with their truck, and a counselor before the house was even cooled. My sister had food and clothing vouchers in her hand (to recloth everyone with the necessaties) within an hour. I am not sure what we would have done without them. We were in WalMart til 10 pm Monday night getting jammies, and undies for everyone, as well as new coats (since of course no one wore their's to school in the am).
Then, I am brought to my knees in humility at the generosity and care shown to the family but friends, family and strangers alike. Proof to me that living in a small community is invaluable and I am so glad we have chosen to raise our children where I was raised, and in an area that still emphasizes helping your neighbor. My sister and I are more used to giving than getting and were very uncomfortable with accepting. Realizing the spirit in which everyone is giving has made us try hard to be more gracious and accepting of the help. Clothing donations, and food have been left and people calling to drop off more. Gift cards have been sent home with the girls from school by families that we don't even know. Amazing. I know I personally will pay it forward many times over.
So- even in the face of what seems to be a horrible tragedy, there are so many reasons to be grateful, and I feel blessed that we are able to see the good in it all. God has blessed us with enough beds for everyone to be safe and warm, and a dining room table big enough for everyone to eat together as the family we are. My oven and washer/dryer will be getting a work out, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: