Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Even more Mother’s Day……

Could there really be more to that day?? Yes, sirree! Mostly I just want to share some of the pictures I took. <grin>My mother-in-law enjoys them!

After the the first winery, we visited two more, through the rolling hills around Hamburg. The  next one being the “hippy” winery – Long Trout. Way up in the woods (and that does seem to be a common thread with these small wineries) . We really have been having fun finding new ones. Basically they are like microbrews are to beer. Each winery has their own nuance and flavor.

Long Trout by far has the largest selection we have seen. Even chocolate wines and the most interesting decor. All 60’s 70’s themed, even the ceiling.  They even had framed tickets to Woodstock on the wall. Our scheduled “fun event” was frisbee golf on their wooded grounds but the weather curtailed that. The tasting room was small and packed, so I didn’t get many pics.

DSC_0250 DSC_0254 DSC_0256 DSC_0257 DSC_0258 DSC_0262

There were a few really cool tshirts that I would have loved to have gotten, but they didn’t have my size, nor did I want to have to explain their intended “meaning” to the teenagers of the household! “Long Trout” makes for some entertaining puns.

The kids chose to hang out outside for awhile and wound up in the car. So I snapped a few pics while we waited for J to make out purchases.

DSC_0263 DSC_0265

 

One the way back to civilization, we decided to stop at a peanut shop we had passed outside of Hamburg, and boy oh boy, were the kids glad we did!

DSC_0266

Rows and rows of chocolate covered pretzels and other handmade confections.

DSC_0269

Lollipops, and classic candy, as well and candy dots stuck on paper strips!

DSC_0271

Rows and rows of every gummy confection you could think of, and all lined up in nice little rows on the trays. It really was very pretty and eye catching.

DSC_0273 DSC_0275 DSC_0280

I love this picture.

DSC_0281

We allowed the kids quite a few treats, tried some chocolate covered bacon ourselves (eh- it’s ok) and I treated myself to a pecan turtle! Yummmm…..

Then, my oh so sweet and naive husband was again surprised that we could not find a place to stop for dinner that was not an 90 min + wait. Again, endearing or annoying? Not so sure.Until I finally said, let’s just go home and order a pizza, and  we wound up driving past  one of our favorites, Red Robin……

Or as we say here, Reeeeeddddd Roooooobin, and someone else says….yummmmmmm……because evidently we watch way too much television around here.

Because apparently it is not as vogue to take mom for burgers as it is to take her for steaks, the parking lot was empty!  But we love it anyway, swung in,  and had a great dinner…….

DSC_0293 DSC_0294 DSC_0295 DSC_0299 DSC_0301

Hey look! It is me making a rare appearance on my own blog! :)

Top off the evening with a mini nap and a dish of ice cream and I was a happy mama! So ends, my exciting “planned adventure” for Mother’s Day. Part interesting, part annoying, always fun – and a perfect day spend with my family.

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Ha! We do the Red Robin jingle here, too. Go figure.

You need to pm me the name of that candy place you went to. It looks irresistible!

Anonymous said...

I love Long Trout!

My favorite wine is their "Slowly I Turn" Niagara. I prefer fruitier wines. We made a killer sangria from their M.R. Nice Melons, too.

Laurel Burns said...

Ohh, I'm a huge Long Trout fan!! The chocolate wines are excellent when poured over vanilla ice cream. Can't wait to get back there and stock up.

Anonymous said...

See, we could sent The Boys to Cabela's and make it a day in the tasting room!